Monday, October 08, 2007

Allah or the Lord Jesus Christ Check it out on Snopes

I receive about fifty to a hundred forwarded emails each day. Many are from well-meaning friends. I received this one six times in one day. It is important to note that all of this report has never been verified. Although I am sure that some events such as these have happened at times (in fact many times in history), this man has offered no information that would enable anyone to verify his account.

I sent this message to everyone who has forwarded this particular email to me.

Please note that I in no way believe that all Muslims are perfect, loving, wonderful humans and I am sure there is a very small percentage who are terrorists. I also do not believe that all Christians, Jews, pagans, etc. are perfect, loving, wonderful humans and a very small percentage are not representative of the best in society. We each choose our own path and it is not the religion that makes one much better than the other for the most part. It goes much deeper than that.

I am writing to request that you no longer forward any of these emails to me that only contribute to the division between different religions, cultures and peoples. I am not interested in furthering the misconception that all peoples of any one religion have the same beliefs. I personally have no preference on any religion and do not promote any religion. In fact I do not believe in the God/god that most people do. I do not care if you believe in God as Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jewish, Pagans or any other people do or if you believe in no god/God. What I do care about is that stories such as these are not used to further divide people by using it as a propaganda tool by one religion or culture to pump up their own base. This is happening way too often.

So in the interest of standing up to what I feel is important in this increasingly hostile world, I request that you send me jokes or forwarded emails that are funny, enlightening or entertaining. They may have political, religious, social or controversial overtones. I do live in the real world. These should be recognizable as jokes---not something passed around on the internet as truth with the intent of dividing peoples, but more to acknowledge that we are all human and in this together and we might as well laugh as cry. If there is doubt in your mind as to whether I would like to read something, please pass me by. Someone else will not.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/06/2007 1:34 PM, Blogger CREATIVEGoddess said...

Well written! I'll point all my religious complaints to this post as explanation.

 
At 12/07/2007 7:54 AM, Blogger Jeanne Rhea said...

I wish this would solve a lot more religious complaints than it probably does. I think we need to have a lot more courses in THINKING in our high schools. Maybe in the next two generations some more problems could be solved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home